Mombasa,KENYA:A meeting between President Uhuru Kenyatta and medics to end the ongoing strike has hit a snag.
This is after Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Union (KMPDU) said they will respond on Friday to a new Government offer.
The new deal by the government includes a 100 percent salary increment.
A statement released by Statehouse spokesma Manoah Esipisu, said the government has offered the striking doctors a new deal to improve their welfare.
Raise the entry level grade into the public service for doctors to Job Group “M” from Job Group “L”. This is higher than the normal entry level for other public servants and recognizes doctors’ professional training
- Offered to raise the Enhanced Emergency Call allowance as follows:
– Increase to KSh 66,000 from the current KSh 30,000 for Job Group L – an increase of more than 100 per cent.
– Increase to KSh 72,000 from KSh 30,000 for Job Groups M-P — also an increase of much more than 100 per cent
– Increase to KSh 80,000 from KSh 30,000 for Job Groups Q and above
- In addition, Government also offered a new Doctors’ Risk allowance at a flat rate of KSh 10,000 per month.
“The sum total of the government’s offer means that the minimum gross salary for doctors will increase to KSh 196,989 from the current KSh 140,244 at full implementation at the current entry Job Group “L”, reads the statement.
President Kenyatta also noted that the new offer to doctors will have an impact on the exchequer accruing to an additional expenditure of KSh 4 billion annually.
The meeting was convened by President Kenyatta at State House Mombasa and was attended by heads of government ministries and a 7-member KMPDU delegation led by the Chairman Dr Samuel Oroko and Secretary-General Dr Ouma Oluga.