The third wave of Azimio la Umoja-led protests will be held next week from Wednesday through to Friday.
The protests had been earlier scheduled for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday but Azimio now says they will hold the third wave of protests from Wednesday to Friday.
“Further to the communications issued yesterday on the Third wave of peaceful protests scheduled to start on Wednesday next week, and following overwhelming requests from all sectors of the Kenyan public for the need to intensify these demonstrations, the Coalition hereby wishes to announce a revision of the calendar,” read the statement in part.
“Going forward, the peaceful protests will now be held on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday next week, in line with requests from the public to include three days of activity,” it continued to read.
Meanwhile, the United Nations Human Rights Office has called for prompt investigations into the deaths and injuries witnessed during the first and second waves of the protests.
“The UN Human Rights Office is very concerned by the widespread violence, and allegations of unnecessary or disproportionate use of force, including the use of firearms, by police during protests in Kenya. Reports say up to 23 people have been killed and dozens injured in the demonstrations in the past week,” read the statement from UNHRO spokesperson Jeremy Laurence.
The Organization said those responsible must be held accountable and measures to prevent further deaths and injuries adopted.
“In light of calls for further protests next week, we call on the authorities to ensure the right to peaceful assembly as guaranteed by the Kenyan Constitution and international human rights law,” said UNHRO.