Driver of matatu involved in Tuju accident on life support

Scene of accident where Jubilee Party Secretary General Raphael Tuju's car rammed into a matatu. No fatalities were reported./COURTESY

The driver of the matatu which was involved in an accident along Nairobi- Naivasha road on Wednesday morning is currently on life support machine.

The 6:45am accident which involved a nuclear Sacco matatu, a Toyota Prado belonging to Jubilee Party Secretary General Raphael Tuju, who was in the car on his way to Kabarak for Moi’s burial, and a Toyota Allion driven by one Aloyce Suresh Obirika happened at Magina area in Lari sub county, Kiambu County.

“It happened that motor vehicle Reg number KCA 235W was being driven from Naivasha towards Nairobi general direction and upon reaching at the location of the accident it slowed down to allow another vehicle which was ahead of it to branch to a feeder road on the right side of the road as you face Nairobi direction and that’s when it was hit on the rear right side by motor vehicle Reg number KCH 051J, Toyota matatu,” read a statement from the police.

“As the matatu was trying to avoid hitting the said vehicle, it swerved to the other traffic lane thereby colliding head-on with the motor vehicle Reg number KCH 504T, Toyota Prado, which was having Hon. Raphael Tuju, Secretary General of Jubilee Party, on board,” it added.

As a result of the accident, several people were injured including; Jubilee party SG Raphael Tuju, who had chest and abdominal injuries; his bodyguard Charles Oyaro, who had a fracture on the right hand; his driver Austin Oindo, who had a fracture on the right leg; Adiella Nalusu had chest injuries; Jane Muthoni had head injuries and the driver of the matatu Benard Kariuki Muya, who is on life support machine.

12 people were slightly injured in the accident.

“All the injured were rushed to Kijabe mission hospital where they are admitted in stable condition apart from the matatu driver who is in a life support machine. Scene was visited and documented and all the vehicles involved towed to station yard awaiting inspection,” reads the statement.