Mombasa hospital suspends inpatient services following night inferno

0
688

The Mombasa hospital has indefinitely suspended its inpatient facilities hours after an inferno razed down part of the hospital.

This is according to the to the hospital vice chairman Dr Samson Bebora who said that the decision was arrived in order to allow experts to examine the cause of the fire.

“The outpatient facility is operating as usual but for now we have transferred the patients to other facilities” Dr Bebora said.

The hospital management claims that the cause of fire which started at 7.30 pm has not been established however, the coast regional police commissioner Rashid Yakub had said that preliminary investigations indicated that the fire started at the kitchen and was caused by an exploding gas cylinder.

The male and female wards, the maternity and psychotherapy departments had been all been affected by the inferno.

It has been established that 68 patients, seven of whom were in the Intensive Care Unit had been admitted at the 114 bed hospital by the time the fire broke out.

Mombasa governor Ali Hassan Joho who was discharged from the facility last week sent his sympathies to the patients who had been admitted at the facility.

“I thank fire fighters from different units who responded on time to contain the situation. To hospital staff and Good Samaritans, asanteni for the speedy evacuation of patients to neighboring health facilities.” Joho said.

County officials lead by the Mombasa deputy governor Dr William Kingi and the health CEC Hazel Koitaba visited the facility on Wednesday morning.

Comments

comments