Kilifi, KENYA: A family in Bofa village, Kilifi County is blaming the Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) over the death of their two children.
The two children a boy and a girl who are cousins were sleeping in their grandmother’s house when a fire which the family blames a faulty connection broke out in the wee hours of Sunday morning.
According to the Kilifi North Region Police Commander Njoroge Ngigi, the mother to one of the children was out jogging when the fire broke out.
The two children aged 4 and a half and 3 years were living with their grandmother who had left them in the care of one of her daughters when she traveled with her other daughter to attend a burial in Nyeri County.
Efforts by a section of the family’s neighbors to put off the fire were not successful.
Njoroge added that the boy died on the spot while the girl who was rescued by neighbors while trying to open the door succumbed to her injuries while being rushed to the Kilifi County referral hospital.
However, family members who spoke to Baraka FM have accused KPLC of negligence saying they had tried to report a faulty connection but the corporation had done nothing to solve the issue.
When Baraka FM visited the scene of the fire on Sunday morning, KPLC employees were on site taking photos of the house which had been razed to the ground.
Kenya Power and Lightning Company had not yet responded to our request for a comment on the matter by the time of going to press.
The bodies of the two children are currently lying at the Kilifi County Referral Hospital Mortuary.