Family seeks justice for kin’s “suspicious” death in Jomvu

Hilda Mwase the mother to the deceased eing consoled by HAKI Africa officials at the Coast general morgue. PHOTO: HILLARY MAKOKHA.

Mombasa, KENYA: A family from Jomvu area, Mombasa is calling for justice after one of their own was found dead at a suspected drinking den after missing for some time.

The late Roseline Nzige Mwasi a 30-year-old single mother of three children, went missing last week on Monday 9th April and was found dead on Friday the same week.

Hilda Mwase the mother of the deceased, said that her daughter Roseline left home after she had allegedly talked to her boyfriend via phone.

“He had talked to the father of her child and we did not expect anything bad because they sired a child together,” said Mrs. Mwase.

Mrs. Mwasi further said the deceased left behind young children who need to be taken care off and asked the government to help her get justice.

According to his father Clement Mwasi, the family received a report on 13th April 2018, from the boy she had gone to take money, that their daughter was dead.

Mr.Mwasi described a house where the body of his daughter was found as a horrible place.

“When we reached the scene we did not get anybody to inform us what had happened but we saw fresh blood and used packets of condoms at the scene,” said Mwasi.

Coast-based Human rights organization HAKI Africa has condemned the incident and called upon the authorities to brings the culprit to book.

HAKI Africa CEO Hussein Khalid said that a number of rape cases are on the increase in Changamwe but they are however yet to establish the death of Ms. Mwasi.

“We have just completed postmortem at Coast general mortuary but they have not ruled out the results,” said Khalid.

Ms. Mwasi’s family suspect that their daughter was gang-raped before she was killed.

“We found her legs tied together using her clothes and it makes us conclude that she was raped before being murdered,” said Mwasi.

By the time of going to press, there were no arrests made so far but the matter is said to have been reported to the police.