KPLC on the spot after fallen powerlines electrocute mother and son in Kwale

0
797
KPLC workers conducting a routine check. ./COURTESY

A 34-year-old woman and her 3-month-old son have been electrocuted at Bowa Matopeni village in Kwale after stepping on a fallen power cable.

According to an eye witness, the deceased who was carrying her son was passing near a power line that had fallen due to heavy rainfall.

Residents have claimed that the power line fell about two weeks ago and despite several complaints made to KPLC , the power was yet to be switched off from the fallen cables.

The wooden poles connected with electricity are said to be rotten in the area threatening the lives of locals.

Locals now want KPLC officials in Kwale County to resign following the death of the two which they argue was a result of negligence.

Residents have called on KPLC to look into the matter, saying that several other poles are in varying stages of rot, putting locals at risk.

Mwinyi Mwasera the Waa Ng’Ombeni ward MCA said the efforts by the residents to Kenya power and lighting company to correct the power default in the area fell on deaf ears

He now wants the officers in charge of electricity in Kwale to bear the responsibility of the deaths and resign.

Human Rights Agenda official Mwinyi Hajj said they have taken up the matter and will be suing Kenya Power for negligence.

Matuga Subcounty police commander Francis Nguli confirmed the incident saying that police had began investigations to unravel what happened.

The bodies of the two were taken to a Kwale funeral home awaiting their autopsy.

Comments

comments