Sigh of relief as only one tests positive for COVID-19 in Mombasa

Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho. He says that he will not allow any political gathering to be held in Mombasa and has asked police to arrest leaders found holding them./COURTESY

Mombasa County can momentarily sigh with relief after only one person tested positive for the COVID-19, out of the 25 cases nationally, in the latest update by the Health Ministry on Thursday.

Rashid Aman, the Ministry of Health’s Chief Administrative Secretary, said the 25 positive cases were found from a sample of 632 tested over the previous 24 hours, bringing the total national infections tally to 607.

Out of the 25 positive cases, Aman said 17 were from Nairobi, two each from Wajir and Kajiado and one case each from Isiolo, Nakuru and Mombasa counties, bringing the total number of affected counties to 18.

“On their nationalities, 22 are Kenyans, one from Uganda, one from Tanzania and one Chinese,” said Aman, adding that 21 were male while four were female within the age bracket of eight to 73 years.

Aman also reported that three people had died of the virus over the 24-hour period and that two were from Nairobi with one from Mombasa, putting the national death toll at 29.

On Wednesday health CS Mutahi Kagwe issued a cessation of movement order in Mombasa’s Old Town and Nairobi’s Eastleigh, after the two areas continued to register a consistent increase in COVID-19 infections.

But on Thursday, CAS Aman raised concerns over reports that many residents from the affected areas had sneaked out to stay in other areas after the order, saying the move put many other Kenyans at risk of infection.

“That move is counterproductive because it is exposing many other Kenyans to the virus,” said Aman during the Thursday briefing.

In Mombasa, Nyali bridge which connects the island from the North Coast, was closed momentarily  on Thursday following reports that some residents from Old Town had sneaked out and were headed towards the North Coast.

Police questioned all vehicle occupants about their areas of residence and held those they found suspicious, while at the same time, manned the Indian Ocean waters over information that some residents were swimming across from the Island to the North in Nyali.