Kilifi county does not currently have an active case of Coronavirus.
This after the last two cases got discharged after recovering fully according to the Kilifi governor Amason Kingi.
The cases had been receiving treatment at the Jibana Isolation and treatment centre in Rabai Sub-county.
“ At the moment, Kilifi county does not have any active COVID-19 cases under any care of our health facilities,” Kingi said on Thursday evening.
Kingi, however, warned that it was too early to celebrate and urged residents to continue following the set procedures in order to fight the disease.
On Tuesday, the county began a mass testing exercise beginning with journalists and health workers.
He said so far they have 500 kits which are being used and they
expected more from the Ministry of health so as to reach out as many people as
”We have actually singled out certain groups that we are going to start with beginning with health workers we have a quite a number of them from Malindi we then move to Mariakani and Malindi,” he said.
Kingi said journalists are also part of the priority group being among those in the frontline adding that some were also tested.
Kilifi County orders closure of key manufacturing firms
He said had there been adequate facilities for mass testing it could be easy to reach out to many people within a short time.
This comes as neighboring Mombasa county struggles to contain the virus whose epicenter has moved from the Port of Mombasa to the Old Town neighborhood.
Last week,Kingi ordered hospitals and funeral homes not to release bodies to families who have not acquired burial permits from police.
His remarks came just a day after 200 people were arrested talking Palmwine at a joint in Kilifi North sub-county flouting a ban on social gatherings.