A second Coronavirus related death in Mombasa has put the national toll at seven as the number of infections from the deadly coronavirus in the country increased to 184 from 179 after five new cases were confirmed on Thursday.
According to the health CS Mutahi Kagwe, the case was detected to be COVID-19 days after the patient died.
Health cabinet secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the new cases, three males and two females, originated from a sample of 308 people tested over the past 24 hours, and included three Kenyans and two foreign nationals.Three of the positive cases had traveled from Tanzania, Britain and the United Arabs Emirates, Kagwe said, with the new infections falling within the age bracket of 39 and 77 years.
Kagwe said Mombasa accounted for two of the positive victims while the three came from Nairobi.
Nationally, the number of males infected continues to dominate the females with 107 of the total infections being male and 77 being female, Kagwe said.
The cabinet secretary warned the JuaKali sector against flouting the social distance safety precautions, saying the sector had so far remained rigid despite continued warnings.
“Those barbers, salonists and mama mboga, you are putting yourselves at great risk ignoring these precautions because you will suffer with your loved ones if you contract this virus,” Kagwe said during his daily briefing on Thursday.
Spot checks have revealed that people in many social places across the country have continued to ignore safety measures especially social distancing, putting themselves at risk of infection.
In Mombasa such places have included the Marikiti market and the Likoni ferry channel where thousands crowd together on the queue waiting to board the ferries.