Kilifi County deputy governor Gideon Saburi will go for another COVID-19 test after his counsel George Kithi presented documents in court showing that he never tested positive in the three tests carried on him before he was released from the Coast Provincial General Hospital where he had been placed in isolation.
Appearing before Mombasa senior resident magistrate Rita Omwayi, Saburi denied the charge of willfully exposing himself to members of the public while suffering from an infectious disease without taking proper precautions contrary to section 28 (a) of the public health act.
The court heard that on diverse dates between 6th March 2020 and 22nd March 2020 within Kilifi County in the Republic of Kenya, Saburi while suffering from an infectious disease namely COVID-19 willfully and without talking precaution exposed himself to the public.
The court ordered him detained after the prosecution counsel Edigah Mulamula opposed his release on bail.
“We are dealing with something new to us, therefore, I need some information from medical experts before the court makes a ruling on bail terms “said Omwayi.
He will be detained at Port police station until April 15, 2020, when the court will hear his bail application.
Earlier the court dismissed an application by the DPP to remand the deputy governor at the port police for two weeks.
Omwayi said that the court could not determine that the suspect should be detained at the prison facility while he was not charged.
Saburi was picked up by DCI officers outside the Coast Provincial General Hospital on Friday moments after he was discharged.