400 tonnes of contraband sugar destroyed at Mombasa port

0
885
Industrialization CS Mohamed Aden ,Tourism CS Najib Balala during the destruction exercise PHOTO HILLARY MAKOKHA

Mombasa,KENYA:The government on Saturday destroyed 400 tonnes of sugar which was confiscated in February 2016, at the Mombasa port.

Sixteen containers of Brazilian sugar imported by Fowlmer company were confiscated for failing to give full disclosure of goods.

Speaking at the time of destruction of impounded sugar, the Cabinet secretary for Industrialization Aden Mohammed said the sugar was had been declared as machine spare parts.

Mr.Mohammed urged importers to pay taxes to the government and declare their goods properly to enable them continuing doing business with the government.

“Importers being involved in illicit and counterfeit goods your days are numbered and we will continue destroying your goods.”said Mohammed.
On the other side the Cabinet secretary for Tourism Najib Balala said that the government is committed to ensuring that the loopholes through which contraband goods have been making their way into the country are sealed.

“Am glad today we have been briefed by the Kenya Revenue Authority that all containers must pass through KRA scanners before they leave the Port’.’said Balala.

Mr.Balala said all government agencies will continue working together to buld a country with a manufacturing economy that can create jobs to people.

He said the sugar will have been sold at a low price hurting Kenya farmers.

KRA has also confiscated 160 containers of solid waste which is expected to be confiscated next week.

Comments

comments