Mombasa, KENYA: Mombasa county has in the recent past seen the re-emergence of knife-wielding gangs that are reported to be terrorizing residents in the city.
Already, two youths are nursing serious injuries following the attacks perpetrated by the gang.
Kibokoni and Majengo are said to be the most affected areas within the county where residents have been terrorized by the gangs.
The gangs are said to attack their victims by use of pangas, knives and even using their bare hands and thereafter post on social media boasting about their prowess.
Adnan Salim one of the victims told Baraka FM on Monday that he was attacked by the gang that left him nursing a lot of injuries.
“I suffered serious wounds on my head, ear and back following the attack by one gang members, I had to move to Sparki area for safety purposes,” said Adnan Salim
He also said that he was attacked on April 19 at the Ujamaa hall in Majengo where he was attending a relative’s wedding.
Following the disaster, the police have maintained that night weddings should not be conducted beyond 11 pm, if it has to then they should be informed early for security purposes.
“The decision to ban late-night wedding ceremonies was reached following an increase of attacks by panga and knives wielding gangs in Mombasa,” said Mombasa County Police Commander Mr. Johnston Ipara.
Addressing the media on Sunday at the Central police station, Mr. Ipara said already four suspects have been arrested.
“I have confirmed that four suspects had surrendered to the police, and also warned those caught on a video carrying machetes to do so before the police catch up with them.” Said Mr. Ipara.
Last year, the county saw a reduction of gangs after former Coast Regional Coordinator Nelson Marwa put a crackdown leading to the arrest of many, while others surrendering after being given amnesty.