Former KBC maestro Eddy Fondo dies at 65

The late Eddy Fondo (R) together with a relative Kelvin Safari Fondo (L) PHOTO COURTESY

Kilifi, KENYA: Former Kenya Broadcasting Cooperation (KBC) broadcasting maestro, Eddy Fondo is dead.

Fondo died upon arrival at Kilifi County hospital early Tuesday morning where he had been referred for further treatment.

Nelson Gona, a family member, said Fondo 65 years old, was admitted at Mariakani sub county hospital on Monday evening and was diagnosed with a perforated gut.

“Fondo complained of stomach problems on Sunday, and we took him to Mariakani sub county hospital where doctors diagnosed him with perforated gut,” said Gona.

“He was admitted thereafter in the hospital but the condition degenerated further and he was referred to Kilifi county hospital for further checkups, but succumbed to the illness before he could get any treatment,” added Gona.

The iconic media practitioner built his name in the 80s and 90s famously known for his appealing style of running his Chaguo lako programme at the then Voice of Kenya VOK.

Kazungu Katana, a former work mate of the deceased praised him as a polite person who curved a niche for himself during his time.

“Fondo was a very reserved person who kept to himself most of the time,” said Katana.

“He was loved in Kenya and other areas which accessed KBC in the continent. He was loved by many musicians due to his attitude of promoting local bands such as the then famous Simba wa Nyika band.”

“His favorite song was ‘Pamela’ and used to play it very much and in fact Simba wa Nyika composed a song for him. He used to call himself MDJ (Music DJ) Fondo,” said Katana.

Katana remembers how Fondo used to be his guest on his VOK club programme in the 80s.

“He was an expert in radio continuity and I used to host him together with Khadija Ali whom we used to call Dada Mrembo then. He nurtured many people during his time at VOK/KBC,” added Katana.

Fondo retired from KBC in the late 2000s and went to his Kaloleni rural home.

He is survived by a widow, a daughter, son and three granddaughters.

His body was transferred to Kilifi hospital mortuary.

By the time of going to press, family members were yet to agree on the date of his burial.