Couple arrested for torturing 3-year-old boy to death

Jockson Ngui and his wife Phyllis Njeri who are accused of torturing three-year-old David Ndung'u to death./COURTESY

Directorate of Criminal Investigations detectives on Wednesday arrested a couple accused of torturing a three-year-old boy to death.

Phylis Njeri and her husband Jockson Ngui were arrested for allegedly torturing David Ndung’u to death before dumping his lifeless body at Mama Lucy Kibaki hospital in February this year.

The arrests of Phylis and her husband came following an outcry by the public on social media to bring the suspects to justice under the hashtag #justiceforDavid.

“Sleuths based at the Corporate Communications and Public Affairs unit had gathered information circulating on social networking platforms regarding the baby’s murder most foul and shared the details of the incident with the elite teams,” said the DCI.

“Investigations were launched immediately, unearthing gory details of how angel David was brutally murdered by Njeri and her husband Jockson Ngui, while his horrified elder brother Peter Ndung’u watched in shock,” the DCI added.

David and his six-year-old brother Peter had been left under the care of Phylis Njeri when their mother Maureen Njoki left for Saudi Arabia in search of greener pastures.

According to the DCI, the three-year-old’s body had severe burns on both hands, legs and buttocks. It also had fresh injuries on the neck, the back and face, signifying the amount of torture David had gone through before his painful death.

“Further forensic analysis conducted at the couples house in Kwa Maji area within Mowlem, Kamukunji sub-county, revealed that the baby was killed in the house before his body was dumped at Mama Lucy Kibaki hospital mortuary,” said the DCI.

“Upon realizing the gravity of their action, the murderous couple had desperately attempted to seek medication in local chemists but the little angel was long gone,” they added.

Detectives also recovered a whip that was used to assault the deceased’s brother who is said to have been beaten senselessly and threatened with dire consequences should he reveal what happened to David.

“Meanwhile, detectives based at the DCI National Forensic Laboratory, biology division and their scenes of crime counterparts shall be visiting the couple’s house for further DNA analysis of the scene to obtain more scientific evidence for a watertight case against the suspects,” the DCI said.

The two suspects were nabbed at their hide-out in Kajiado County’s Illasit village near the Kenya-Tanzanian border while seeking to cross the border into Tanzania.

“The two are currently being transferred to Nairobi where they will face murder charges,” said the DCI.