Defiant Old Town residents locked down for 15 days

0
769
Police officers guard a street in Old Town. One of the neighborhoods placed under lockdown here in Mombasa due to a surge in COVID-19 cases.Anxiety has gripped the country as the presidents meets governors over a surge in COVID-19 cases COURTESY

The government has put Old town in Mombasa and Eastleigh in Nairobi under cessation of movement for the next 15 days starting 6th of May 2020 at 7pm.

This means movement in and out of the two areas will not be allowed for the next 15 days.

The government has also ordered restaurants in the two areas closed.

This is after the two areas continued to register high numbers of COVID-19 cases.

According to Health CS Mutahi Kagwe, Old Town in Mombasa registered 18 new cases on Wednesday while Eastleigh recorded 5 more cases in the last 24 hours.

Mutahi said the measure taken will see closure of any market and restaurants within the two areas and there will be no public transportation in or out of the area.

“There shall be cessation of movement in and out of Eastleigh of Nairobi with effective of today 6th of May 2020 at 7pm for the next 15 days, ” Said Mutahi.

READ ALSO: Stiffer measures to be put on Old Town after 15 more test positive

He further said the measures taken is not to punish anybody but rather to protect those in the area.

This comes just a few days after Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho warned that the residents would be subjected to a forced COVID-19 testing after they failed to show up for mass testing and their continued defying of social distancing.

However, Joho’s threats fell on deaf ears after a group of residents was filmed sharing an iftar meal together defying social distancing regulations.

On Tuesday, yet another group were filmed trying to stop health workers from taking a woman to quarantine. Another group were filmed trying to bar health workers from picking a body in the area.

Of the new cases recorded in the last 24 hours, Kwale county has recorded a new case.

READ ALSO: Eight more test positive for COVID-19 in Old Town

 47 people tested positive on Wednesday with 32 coming from Mombasa,11 in Nairobi,2 in Busia 1 and 1 in Kiambu.

However, 8 people were discharged taking the number of those discharged to 190.


Two more persons have been reported dead in Mombasa making the number to 26.

The government has also announced that it will meet the cost of quarantine in order to facilitate those fearing to volunteer during mass testing .

The country has so far confirmed 581 cases of COVID-19.

Comments

comments