The government is considering putting stiffer measures in areas with high infections of COVID-19.
Mombasa’s Old town is among the three areas identified by the Ministry of health as risky.
Cabinet Secretary for Health Mutahi Kagwe on Tuesday said that the ministry was in consultations with other stakeholders before taking action.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in March, Oldtown has recorded more than 65 positive cases after new 15 cases were reported on Tuesday.
Though Kagwe did specify the stiff measures that would be out in the area, last week Mombasa governor Ali Hassan Joho threatened to lock down the area after residents failed to show up for mass testing and their continued defying of social distancing.
His threats would soon fall on deaf ears after a group of area residents were filmed sharing an iftar meal together defying social distancing regulations.
On Monday, yet another group of area residents were filmed blocking health workers from taking an unedentified woman to quarantine.
Other areas that have been put on the stiffer measures notice include Kawangware which recorded 24 cases and Eastleigh which recorded 63 cases.
Both areas are from Nairobi County.
45 new cases were reported on Tuesday being the highest number of positive cases ever recorded in the country since the first case was reported in March.
Among the 45 who tested positive, 29 are from Nairobi County, 11 Mombasa, and five from Wajir County.
Nine people were also discharged after they tested negative bring to a total of 182 recoveries.
“The figure is still worrying and I want to appeal to those not doing social distancing, washing hands, and practicing health requirements to adhere to the directives, “said Kagwe.
He further warned those exposing others to the illness insisting that they will face the law.