COVID-19: Mombasa records first death

0
874
Health CS Kagwe Mutahi flanked by other officials during Tuesday briefing on COVID-19 status update in the country./COURTESY

A patient who was hospitalized at a Mombasa hospital after testing positive for the Coronavirus, died on Thursday, bringing the national death toll to three.

The female patient aged 58 had been admitted at the hospital’s isolation ward for close to two weeks before her condition worsened, leading to her demise early on Thursday. 

“Today I am saddened to announce that we have lost an additional two patients to the virus in the country, one in Nairobi and one in Mombasa” health CS Mutahi Kagwe said.

Last week, the country lost her first patient to the disease at the Aga Khan hospital in Nairobi from a 66-year-old man who earlier traveled to Eswatini through South Africa.

This comes as an additional 29 more tested positive for the disease in Kenya bringing the national toll to 110 people.

28 of the people who tested positive are Kenyans while one is a Congolese national.

As at 2 pm on Thursday, the body of the deceased still lay at the Mombasa hospital, with sources within saying there was still confusion pertaining protocol on how it was to be handled.

“It has not even been taken to the mortuary,” said a source who spoke to Baraka FM.

In neighboring Uganda, the number of infections remained at 44 while Rwanda’s infections reached 82.

223 people have died of the virus out of the 6,212 infections reported in 49 countries across Africa.

432 people have reportedly fully recovered across the continent.

In Italy, 727 deaths have been confirmed over the last 24 hours alone, with the US recording 605 deaths over the same period.

Comments

comments