A somber mood engulfed Mathare village in Likoni sub-county after a middle-aged man was electrocuted to death on Thursday during a coconut harvesting spree.
According to eyewitnesses, the man identified as Mohamed Hamisi met his death after it started raining while he was harvesting the coconuts.
“We just saw him raising his arms in the air while screaming but when we arrived it was already too late” Shafiq Hassan, an eye witness told journalists.
Reports indicate that the deceased has been working as a coconut vendor and had arrived at the neighborhood to purchase the coconuts earlier in the day.
According to Mwambao Ngwaruto, the owner of the farm where the deceased met his death, the deceased had plucked three coconuts from the tree when he met his fate.
A report of the incident made by the deceased’s brother Ali Hamisi at the Likoni Police station indicated that the body of the deceased is currently at the Coast Provincial General Hospital mortuary awaiting a post mortem.
However, some area residents have accused the Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) of laxity saying they had failed to prune the trees that have been overgrowing dangerously on the connection lines.