Nairobi, KENYA: 18 Kenya Power employees have been sacked after being linked to multi-billion shillings lost on contracts at the company.
Addressing the press on Monday in Nairobi, Kenya Power Managing director Ken Tarus said according to an audit report, out of 19 people who were involved in the issuing of tender of emergency repairs on power infrastructure, only one was not found culpable.
He mentioned that most of the dismissed employees were found in breach of the company’s code of ethics signed last year.
“It has emerged that the employees co-own companies with their spouses, children or other relatives.” Said Tarus
Tarus added that contractors got on the list of contractors without meeting the criteria and majority are associated with the company.
However, the MD insisted that no money was lost in the process as procurement had just been completed, despite that fact that the audit revealed that over 350 companies that won the contracts never met the threshold as per the constitution.
“Over 500 contractors were pre-qualified and would have seen them get the job for the next two years. Those who lost the bid were unsatisfied with the process leading to the investigation,” Said Tarus.
This comes amid audit report at the Kenya Power that revealed massive irregularities in its procurement department.
The audit initiated by the management reveals how staff colluded with unregistered companies, or front proxies, to win tenders at Kenya’s main electricity supplier.