Governor Joho orders closure of Kibarani dumpsite

0
1341

Mombasa, KENYA: Mombasa Governor Hassan Ali Joho has ordered for the closure of Kibarani, the largest dumpsite in the county.

Governor Joho directed county authorities to ensure that the dumpsite is closed in 70 days and also identify a new and alternative location for a new dumpsite.

Addressing the crowd on Friday while launching a fleet of 12 new garbage collection trucks at the Treasury Square in Mombasa, Joho ordered county officials in the Health, Trade and Tourism, and Environment dockets to make sure the dumpsite is closed by June.

“I want that dumpsite closed by end of June. No more dumping of waste in Kibarani.” Said Joho.

He also warned the drivers from using the new trucks for private garbage collection.

Kibarani dumpsite has for a long time painted a bad picture of Mombasa County, as it is located at the gateway into the city before the Makupa causeway on the Mombasa-Nairobi highway.

Governor Joho thanked the county staff for managing the county in his absentia, following his tour from Europe and Middle East.

“My able deputy William Kingi had been running the county effectively while I was away for my overseas tour. He has qualities of a determined leader. My staff is ready and steady, and they are committed to serving the county.” said Joho.

Comments

comments