Nairobi, KENYA: The government has said Media houses that disregarded the advice of not airing NASA swearing-in event will remain closed until investigations have been completed.
According to Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiangi, Media owners and all relevant actors had been given a full security situation brief well ahead of the NASA activities but unfortunately, some media houses chose to disregard the advice.
Matiang’i who was addressing the press on Wednesday in Nairobi said that the government took the decision of shutting down the concerned media houses as their complicity would have led to thousands of deaths of innocent Kenyans due to the buildup of the alleged incitement that was witnessed in early hours of the morning of 30th January 2018.
“The government was and is aware of the role of some elements in the Media fraternity that participated in furtherance of this illegal act,” Said Matiang’i.
Matiangi further noted that the government has commenced a full investigation around the purported ‘swearing in’ of Raila Odinga whereby after the completion of the investigation, appropriate action will be taking in accordance with the law of Kenya.
“What was witnessed at Uhuru Park was a well-choreographed attempt to subvert or overthrow the legally constituted government of the Republic of Kenya” He said.
However, the CS reiterated that the government will continue to perform its cardinal responsibility of protecting lives and properties of all Kenyans regardless of their political affiliation.
Three TV stations namely KTN News, Citizen TV and NTV were on Tuesday shut down after doing a live broadcast of the NASA swearing-in event despite a government ban.