Nairobi, KENYA: The United Nations (UN) in Kenya on Thursday called for an appeal for sh. 17 billion through their drive to save over three million Kenyans from starvation.
Speaking during the launch of the flash appeal at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre on Thursday, Siddharth Chatterjee, UN Resident Coordinator in Kenya said that numbers of those being affected by the drought has since doubled.
“Last year August the number of people affected was 1.7 million but this figure rocketed to reach almost 3 million people, ” Mr. Chatterjee said.
He added that the devastating drought had serious consequences on mainly nomadic pastoralists in Northern Kenya.
He said that the drought had left thousands thirst and hungry while decimating livestock populations,
“Our flash appeal covers areas where there are critical needs, for example in the areas of food, nutrition, water, sanitation, and fodder for livestock, this money from donors will help save lives in Kenya,” Chatterjee said.
Red Cross Secretary General Abbas Gullet cautioned also that if the rains failed in April then the effects of the drought would be more devastating.
Six Kenyan sub counties have reported Global Acute Malnutrition (GAM) rates above the 15% global emergency threshold, Turkana North, Marsabit and Mandera have exceeded 30% more than double the emergency threshold.