London, ENGLAND: At least 22 people have been reported dead and dozens injured after a terrorist attack during a pop concert by US star Ariana Grande in Manchester, United Kingdom.
Eyewitnesses described the attack as a “huge bomb-like bang” in the foyer area at the end of the concert at around 10.30pm on Monday, with police confirming that Children are feared to be among those killed and wounded, online British publication theguardian reports.
Ariana Grande, whose concert at the Manchester Arena was targeted in an attack on Monday night, has since joined other politicians and celebrities in expressing disbelief at the turn of events.
Grande, who was not hurt, took to Twitter to express her sincere condolences to the affected victims.
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) May 23, 2017
Witnesses say a fleet of ambulances was seen rushing to the venue and bomb disposal teams were dispatched soon after, as city residents hosted most of theo stranded concert-goers after train services were shut down.
“So far 22 people have been confirmed dead, with around 50 others injured. This is currently being treated as a terrorist incident until police know otherwise,” police said in a statement.
British Prime Minister Theresa May has also condemned the attack and condoled with the affected families.
“All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected,” she said in a statement.
Theguardian reports that The UK prime minister, Theresa May, will be chairing a meeting of the government’s emergency Cobra committee on Tuesday morning.
Latest reports show that Police believe the attack was carried out by one man, and are investigating if he was part of a wider network.
The man is reported to have died at the scene after detonating an explosive device.