Three seriously injured in Likoni-Ferry stampede

Three seriously injured in Likoni-Ferry stampede

by -
0 1188
Good samaritans help one of the injured victim form the stampede at the Ferry. PHOTO: WELDON KEMBOI.

Mombasa, KENYA: Three people were seriously injured in a stampede on Friday evening at the ferry channel,  as commuters scrambled to board the ferry.

The victims all women, were stepped on by the other passengers suffering broken limbs.

The 6:45pm incident caused a huge traffic snarl-up both at mainland and Likoni.

According to eyewitnesses, only three ferries were on operation at the time of incident; which is usually rush hour.

The three identified as Ms Hadijah Salim, Ms Elizabeth Ngoiri and Ms Aisha Bakari were on their way to South coast when the misfortune happened.

Ms Salim from Malindi sustained serious injuries on her face, as her right eye was almost gouged after she was stepped on during the stampede.

Ms Bakari ,27 from Malindi and who could not stand on her own, complained of chest pains and her abdomen after she was rescued by good Samaritans.

She said she was going on holiday in South Coast with her child.

Another victim Ms Elizabeth Ngoiri,40,could not talk as she was seriously injured on her head and legs.

Ms Bakari had fractured limbs and had injuries on her face;she could stand up without help.

When asked to comment about the situation, The Kenya Ferry public relations officer Harun Mutiso who was present at the scene declined to comment.

Security officers led by Likoni OCS major Pius Mbithi at  the ferry, had a hard time controlling the crowd who turned violent and wanted to attack Ferry officials.

The three were rushed to Coast General hospital in critical condition as commuters blamed the management saying the few ferries could not cope with huge crowds during peak hours.

Likoni police boss Willy Simba confirmed the incident to Baraka FM saying one of the Ferries had broken down; resulting to the  incident.

“We can now confirmed three people were injured and they have been taken to Coast General Hospital,” said police boss.

This comes  as Red Cross set up a rescue centre  at the channel, that is expected to be fully functional next week.