Court orders Kwale terror suspect be put in remand for 14 days...

Court orders Kwale terror suspect be put in remand for 14 days pending investigations

by -
0 181
Terror suspect Mwandego Mohamed (center) being escorted by Kwale police. PHOTO: SITA LAWRENCE.

Kwale, KENYA: Police on Wednesday were given permission by a Kwale court to put in remand a terror suspect for 14 days pending investigations.

This comes after Kwale Principal Magistrate Cosmas Maundu allowed application by Matuga DCIO Stephen Muli to have the suspect Mwandego Mohamed remanded.

The suspect was arrested after being allegedly found with a Russian made grenade (28-87) , a detonator code, electrical detonator and  a cast booster.

Appearing before  Maundu on Thursday, DCIO Muli said that he had been advised by the office of DPP to seek more days so as to complete investigations.

“The suspect is believe to be involved in terrorism activities,” he said.

The suspect Mwandego Mohamed who is believed to be from  Uganda, was arrested on Tuesday by flying squad officers from Mombasa and Kwale at his Zibani village Ng’ombeni location.

He argued that due to the nature of the offence, they required more time  to conduct investigations.

“We want the court to allow us to remand the suspect at Kwale police station as we finalize investigations. I am aware of section 49(1) (f) of the constitution of Kenya which stipulates the rights of suspects,” he added through a sworn affidavit.

Muli noted that director of public prosecution had advised that the matter be investigated further, before the suspect is allowed to take plea.The suspect did not object the police application.

“I have no objection with the application,” he told the court.

Mohamed however urged the court to direct that he be taken to hospital for medication; since he was not feeling well.

“My legs and chest have a problem and so I ask this honorable court to ensure that I am treated,” he said.

Maundu directed that the suspect be given medical attention and remanded at Kwale police station until 22 September, when his case will be mentioned.

The magistrate however objected application by the suspect to have his ID returned to him, as investigation officers insisted that they are using it as well as his phone for investigations.

“You will be given all your items and documents once investigations are through,” said Maundu.

Comments

comments