Mombasa, KENYA: National Lands Commission chairperson Mohammed Swazuri has warned individuals who allegedly grab land belonging to schools that his commission will take action against them.
Speaking on Thursday at the 12th annual KEPSHA conference in Mombasa, Swazuri said that they have received about 158 complaints from school heads concerning land that private individuals claim belongs to them.
“As a commission, we have launched investigations to find out how these individuals acquired the titles yet public schools exist on those parcels.” Said Swazuri.
Swazuri further said that some applications brought to them needed to be separated as those titles include Primary schools with Early Childhood Development Centres.
“These applications are about 385 and therefore causing conflict in terms of the National and County government jurisdiction.” Added Swazuri.
He added that a recommendation has been made that subdivisions be initiated so that the primary section and ECDs can have separate ownership documents.
Swazuri said that they have so far received 10,047 applications for titles from both primary and secondary schools since last year that represent 45 per cent of the total applications.
The commision was targeting a total of 24,000 applications and he urged school heads and stakeholders to send applications so that they can hasten the process of issuing school land titles.
“We are urging school heads and stakeholders to send applications in time so that the process of issuing land titles can be quick and easy.” said Swazuri.