Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery said Kenyans soldiers injured in Somalia terror attack were evacuated and some airlifted back home from Somalia, for specialized treatment.
Speaking in Mombasa , Nkaissery said the government will soon announce the official count of Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) soldiers killed or injured in the Friday Al-Shabab attack in Somalia.
Nkaissery confirmed that efforts to establish the number of casualties from the battleground were still ongoing.
“Injured soldiers have been evacuated back home. The KDF military camp at El-Adde will be reinforced to effectively deal with the Al-Shabaab militants. AMISOM troops are still combing the area in hot pursuit of the militants behind the attack,” said Nkaissery.
The CS spoke a days after President Uhuru Kenyatta announced that the Kenya’s defense forces will continue to be in Somalia despite the attacks.
The President commended the good work done by KDF soldiers in promoting peace and security both in and outside the country.
“Regrettably, some of our patriots in uniform paid the ultimate price. It is heart-breaking. I want to take this opportunity to express mine and the country’s deepest sympathy to the families and loved ones of the fallen. I stand with you. Our country stands with you. We deeply appreciate the sacrifices made by your loved ones in defence of our democracy, our peace and our security,” the President said on Friday during the launch of National Street Lighting project in Mombasa.
The Al-shaabab militia early Friday attacked the SNA camp which is situated next to the Kenya Defence Forces camp early Friday before the Kenyan troops launched a counter attack leading to unknown number of causalities.
Kenyan troops under AMISOM had counter-attacked in support of the Somali Army who had been overrun by Al-shaabab militia.
“The SNA camp was overrun and the KDF troops under AMISOM counter-attacked in support of SNA. The number of casualties from both sides is unknown.” A statement released by KDF spokesman David Obonyo says.