Mombasa Court allows Police to detain Al-shaabab terror suspect for 30 days...

Mombasa Court allows Police to detain Al-shaabab terror suspect for 30 days pending investigation

by -
0 572
A suspected Al-shaabab militant whom the police linked to the recovery of 2 rifles and 345 rounds of ammunition in a Majengo house on Monday will be detained for 30 days pending investigations.
Mr Abdifatah Twahir Abdalla will be detained at Port police station for the entire period to assist in investigations that Police claim to be wide and complex.
The suspect was arraigned before Senior Principal Magistrate Richard Odenyo on Tuesday who allowed the Anti Terrorism Police Unit police -ATPU’s application for detention
Through State Counsel Eugene Wangila, police said the suspect was arrested in Malindi, Kilifi County on Monday night at around 1am and he was escorted to Mombasa for interrogation.
“This was after prior investigations following the recovery of assorted mobile phones, sim cards and used airtime cards that linked him to two terror suspects who escaped in a house during the raid,” he said.
He further said that police officers raided a house in King’orani in Majengo on Monday at 4.30pm, and recovered a M4 rifle containing seven rounds of ammunition, G3 rifle containing 20 rounds of ammunition and acetone chemical used for making explosives.
“The raid was made after a tip off from the members of public that there were individuals who appeared to be a threat to security, but they managed to escape,” said Mr Wangila.
He said that police need more days in order to investigate and arrest more Al Shabaab terror suspects who escaped and are still at large.
 “The investigations will involve exploitation of mobile phones, laptops, sim-cards and scratch cards that shall be subjected to forensic analysis for further investigations,” said the state Counsel.
Mr Abdalla, however, in his response said he was a student and there is nothing that was recovered from him to link him with being a member of Al shabaab.
“I was ambushed by ATPU police officers who arrested me in my house in Malindi at 12.00 midnight. They took away my Sh100,000, three old phones, a laptop and a vehicle fuse.
Mr Abdalla also claimed that the police officers assaulted him before embarking him into a land rover to transfer him to Mombasa.
The case will be mentioned on February 8.