Locomotive engines for SGR arrive in the country.

Locomotive engines for SGR arrive in the country.

by -
0 3035
Locomotive Engines loaded on heavy trucks heading to Mtito Andei

New locomotive engines set to be used for laying standard gauge railways SGR have arrived in the country.

Kenya Railway corporation’s officials confirmed the engines arrived last week at the Port of Mombasa where they were offloaded and later transported to Emaili and Mtito Andei for rail track layout.

Construction of the 609km-long single-track standard gauge railway between Mombasa and Nairobi began in October 2013 and is scheduled to be completed by December 2017.

At least 60 new jobs a kilometre of track or approximately 30,000 jobs are expected to be created during the construction.

The Mombasa-Nairobi phase of the project is estimated to cost Ksh327bn ($3.8bn).

China Exim Bank provides 90% of the financing while the remaining 10% will be contributed by the Kenyan Government.

The SGR will run through the counties of Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale, Taita-Taveta, Makueni, Kajiado, Machakos and Nairobi, according to Kenya Railway Corporation.

The new line will run parallel to the existing meter gauge railway and the Mombasa-Nairobi Road.

 

 

Comments

comments