One person was killed and property worth millions of shillings destroyed after fire gutted down Sea Top Hotel in Kikambala, Kilifi County on Friday.
Henry Karori ,one of the sons to the hotel owner, was burnt to death during the inferno.
Kilifi County Police Commandant Douglas Kanja confirmed the death saying the deceased was inside the generator room where the fire started.
“There was a black out at that time when the young guy went to switch on the generator while using a koroboi, it caught fire and exploded killing him,” Kanja said.
He said an explosion was heard from the generator room before the fire spread out to other rooms in the hotel, and even further to nearby buildings owned by a German citizen, where more property was also destroyed.
One property owner, Elelweiss Hedi Ulii, said he lost property worth ksh 17.5 million.
Police are still investigating the cause of the fire, said Kanja.