Huduma Kenya Programme has once again won an outstanding award for being the best in provision of public service delivery.
The Kenya Ombudsman Award was presented on Friday to the Head of the Huduma Kenya Secretariat Mr. Dennis Mutuku by the Attorney General Prof. Githu Muigai and witnessed by the Chairperson, Commission on Administrative Justice Dr. Otiende Amollo.
Devolution and Planning Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru, whose docket Huduma Kenya falls,said credible public administration institutions and systems are essential vehicles for Government to efficiently deliver its mandate.
Waiguru said such institutions hold the key as a democratic instrument for shaping state-society relationships and effective governance.
“The success of the public service and the officers who make up the service depend on everyone’s ability to restore trust, and confidence in the public administration, as a responsive and accountable governing institution that is there to serve the needs of the public “said Waiguru.
The statistics also indicate that operational Huduma Centres serve over 20,000 customers daily. The Centres have to date served over three million people, which has raised the work productivity of the Centers as Government Service Points.
The programme also created employment of 1000 people, mostly young who serve in the 21 operational Huduma Centres across the country, constituting an average of 50 per centre.
Huduma Kenya is targeting to create at least a Huduma centre in each of the 47 counties.
Huduma Kenya Programme has managed to win five other firsts Global Awards all in one Financial Year – 2014/ 2015:
- United Nations Public Service Award in the category Improving the Delivery of Public Services-June 2015
- African Public Service Awards in the Special Recognition category-June 2015
- Africa in Innovative Management of Public Service, Awards by the African Association for Public Administration and Management-February 2015
- Customer Service Excellence in Public Sector, Awards by the Institute of Customer Service Kenya
- And best in use of ICT in the Public Service, Awards by the Information Communication Technology Association of Kenya
According to devolution and planning ministry officials , the awards not only puts Kenya on the world map as a vision bearer of transformation in public service delivery, but also gives the Huduma Kenya programme recognition in the African continent as a public service reform process that works and a focal point in spearheading best practice in public service delivery.