The transport and infrastructure ministry is to blame for delay in compensating Lamu residents whose land was acquired for the construction of the new port in the county, the National Lands Commission (NLC), said on Thursday.
NLC chairman Muhammad Swazuri said his office had identified, vetted and submitted the list of eligible beneficiaries to the transport ministry in December last year, but the ministry was unnecessarily dragging the final compensation process.
He said he was being blamed unfairly, adding that the commission had played its role, and the beneficiaries needed to have been paid long ago.
“These people are growing tired of waiting. (They) should know that we did our part. The commission has submitted 157 names to the Transport ministry……….who in conjunction with the Kenya Ports Authority, should ensure compensation happens,” said Swazuri.
He called on the Transport ministry and the Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) to come clean and explain to the families what was delaying the compensation process.
Lands cabinet secretary Charity Ngilu had rejected the first list of beneficiaries, alleging it had been doctored to benefit people who did not deserve the compensation.
She asked the NLC to conduct verification of the said names and establish the bonafide beneficiaries.
Families affected have condemned the delayed compensation and vowed to stop the execution of the LAPSSET project until they are paid.