The high court in Mombasa on Monday granted bail to a suspect who denies 12 counts of murder over deadly attacks in Mpeketoni, Lamu, last month which left at least 65 people dead.
Dyana Salim Suleiman was released on a cash bail of 500,000 with 3 surerities of the same amount after he denied the charges last week.
The judge said it was a right for any accused person before the law to be granted bail upon their request since they are innocent until proven guilty.
Prosecutors had objected to Suleiman’s request to be granted bail saying he could interfere with ongoing investigations, but the court on Monday ruled that it saw no evidence on the charges pressed against him, and could therefore not find concrete reason to deny him bail as requested by his lawyer John Khaminwa.
The accused will be held at the Malindi Police Station until the settlement of the bail, the court directed, and during this time the judge ordered that the accused be allowed access to immediate members of his family due to his medical condition, as the case comes up for mention on July, 14.
In Kilifi seven suspected Mombasa Republican Council (MRC) members were ordered detained for 14 days as prosecutors concluded investigations before they charged them formally.
The seven were arrested in a forest in Chonyi, Kilifi County last week and police alleged they were undergoing military training with intentions to commit crime.
An assortment of weapons including bows, arrows, machetes, knives and home-made guns, were recovered from the scene of their arrest.
Police also recovered what they said were MRC flags and a membership register indicating that the MRC was recruiting members who were paying a fee of 200 shillings.
The MRC leadership however denied being involved in any recruitment or training and alleged it was a plot by government to set them up.
Police also linked the group to the latest attacks in Lamu and Tana River on Saturday which left 29 people dead, but the MRC leaders denied this as well.