Government warns against circulation of false alarmist text messages.

Government warns against circulation of false alarmist text messages.

by -
88 719

Police in Mombasa are investigating the authors of text messages that have been circulating around the city warning against alleged impending terrorist attacks targeting key city installations.

The text messages have warned people against visiting certain popular supermarkets, shopping centers and recreation joints within and outside the city, claiming that terrorists were planning to launch attacks against them.

Mombasa County commissioner Nelson Marwa dismissed the text messages as false, terming them propaganda that was intended to create unnecessary panic.

“We are urging residents to ignore the SMSs because they are false. We will soon catch up with those behind their circulation,” Marwa told journalists in Mombasa.

He said they had also intensified security at the Likoni ferry channel where thousands of people cross daily to town from South Coast and back.

At the Mombasa law courts two suspects linked to twin blasts in Mwembe Tayari and Reef hotel in Nyali a fortnight ago were arraigned but charges were not read to them.

Prosecutor Kipkoech Sang requested the court to allow them formally charge the two suspects on Tuesday, saying they needed a few more hours to conclude interrogating them.

The two, Sharrif Mohamed Sharrif and Salim Ali  Omar are suspected to have been behind the blast at Reef hotel, and have brought to four, the total number of suspects arrested over the blasts.

Mombasa area police Commander Robert Kitur said an ongoing operation against terrorists and illegal migrants had so far seen the arrest of over 2200 people, 500 of who had had been interrogated and released, while 1000 others had been charged.

He said 22 illegal migrants were awaiting deportation.

Comments

comments